The AWS Relational Database Service (RDS) team is looking for Systems Development Engineers in Vancouver, BC, Canada. RDS manages the world's biggest fleet of relational databases and our customers rely on us to keep their data safe, secure, and highly available.
We are looking for builders with a passion for automation, who turn difficult problems into one-click solutions. You will build systems that automate new AWS regions, new instance types, new operating systems, and deploy software worldwide. You know how to write code and have a passion for building, but you also know your way around Linux and the networking stack. You will get the chance to build the cloud, work at scale, and impact the world.
You value working with your team, using your unique skills to improve the quality of work going on around you. You are open to learning new skills, growing in your career, being mentored, and mentoring others. You know our customers count on us and take that responsibility seriously.
The RDS team has a strong culture of ownership, working as a team to solve pain points for our customers and ourselves. We know how to have a good time, we celebrate our successes, and we awkwardly sing happy birthday to each other (on our birthdays, not just anytime).
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives. This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one one day a month. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause and prioritize fixes to reduce operational load on team.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of scripting experience with at least one modern language such as Java, Python, Ruby
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Minimum 3 years experience in either technical support or software development
• Computer Science fundamentals, including data structures, algorithm design and complexity analysis
• Experience with running / troubleshooting Linux-based servers (any distro)
• Understanding of key networking concepts such as different protocols (TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, etc), OSI model, DNSPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• B.S. or M.S. degree in Computer Science, MIS, CIS, or a related field
• Knowledge of databases like Oracle MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLServer, etc (Oracle preferred)
• Excellent communication, prioritization, and analytical skills
• Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment
• Must be able to see opportunities for improvement, take ownership and closely work with development team to drive product improvement.
• Passion for automation and providing a great customer experience
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Law Enforcement and Security Quality Assurance