Avalanche is transforming how we understand and move people to create a more fair and just world. We are fundamentally changing how public opinion research is done by delivering the deep qualitative insight associated with a focus group at the scale of polling. Avalanche provides progressive organizations with transformative insight to create breakthrough messaging that resonates, mobilizes, and wins. With the backing of leading investors including Higher Ground Labs
, and New Media Ventures
, we are scaling on growth and success in 2021 to meet the demand for our insights from political and advocacy leaders, while expanding our offerings to support values aligned leaders in other sectors.
About the role:
Engineers at Avalanche are building tools that help us deliver the deep qualitative insights our clients have come to trust. This means building and supporting tools that enable our internal users to understand large amounts of text data, as well as building products that our clients interact with directly. Our work is to enable Avalanche to provide deeper analysis more quickly while delivering rich experiences for our clients.
You are a software engineer who loves working on a new code base including the excitement and challenge of making engineering decisions that will have a long lasting impact on both our technology and company. You are as comfortable writing frontend code to match high fidelity mocks, as you are writing backend code to handle complex business logic, and enjoy taking complex technical problems and breaking them down by writing technical specs.
You excel at giving and receiving feedback with kindness, curiosity, and an open mind. You bring empathy to your interactions with members of the team and our users especially when working with talented designers and product managers to ensure that all of our products delight our users.
You are excited about improving both engineering and company culture by consistently engaging with people and processes. You take full ownership of tasks, and will do whatever it takes to complete them with the support of your team. You are an excellent communicator who can talk fluently with engineers as well as convey technical information to non-technical people.
You want to help make the world a better place, and believe that helping organizations and leaders to understand and engage people is a great way to do that.
- Building software: You will code most days in this role.
- Technical architecture: You will help set the technical direction on a range of products and features.
- Collaboration: You will be expected to work closely with other engineers, product managers, and designers.
- Mentorship: You will be expected to mentor other engineers with less experience. This includes pairing with them, modeling good practices, and providing kind feedback.
Qualities and qualifications
- Strong full stack development skills from frontend to backend to devops. (Ideally 5+ years of experience, though we will consider strong candidates with less).
- Experience building robust software.
- Experience mentoring other engineers.
- Experience bringing difficult engineering problems to resolution.
- Experience as a tech lead on a project, working with design and product to scope requirements and with other engineers to build a feature.
- Experience at a startup is a plus
- Experience working with modern web development frameworks. (Our stack is React, Django, GraphQL, and AWS, familiarity with these tools is a plus).
- You do not need a CS degree for this role. We care more about your ability as an engineer and commitment to be a good teammate than we care about your credentials.
The compensation band for this role is $110,000 to $150,000 annually, depending on geography and experience.
We are committed to building a workplace that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve.
We especially encourage women, people of color, folks who identify as queer and others who are underrepresented in the technology or research field to apply.
We treat our employees like our most valuable asset - because they are!
Compensation is benchmarked to the upper range of companies in our sector, geography, and stage. We offer comprehensive healthcare benefits, 401K or RRSP, perks like transit or parking passes, home office and fitness funds, bookclub, generous vacation and professional development policies to feed your insatiable curiosity!
Our team is remote. Definitely during COVID-19. Probably forever.
Apply from anywhere in Canada or the USA. You will be supported to ensure you have a comfortable remote work set up. In time, we will reopen offices in Vancouver, BC and Washington, DC and co-working hubs in select other locations. For some roles, we have a soft preference for candidates interested in relocation to hubs when the time is right.