Have you ever ordered a product on Amazon and wondered how it got to you so fast? Did you ever think about where did this package come from and how much would it have costed to do that delivery? If so, the Amazon Supply Chain Optimization organization is for you.
The Supply Chain Optimization Technology (SCOT) owns Amazon's global inventory planning and fulfillment systems. SCOT decides what, when, who, where, and how much inventory to buy in order to meet customer needs as well as Amazon's business goals. SCOT optimizes transportation and fulfillment plans to help our Customers get what they need, as fast as possible. We do this for millions of items, for hundreds of product lines worth billions of dollars of inventory world-wide. See this short video for more info: http://bit.ly/amazon-scot. (http://bit.ly/amazon-scot)
The Fulfillment Availability Team is part of SCOT and we own several core systems that are at the foundation of Amazon's fulfillment pipeline and supply chain. We track inventory signals globally, in real time, and provide transactionally precise data on top of robust and asynchronous systems. We manage the complex graphs, constraints, and rules that define the Amazon fulfillment network and how things move through. We enable fulfillment of anything everywhere.
As a part of a close-knit team of engineers that are agile, data driven, and highly collaborative, you will work with a wide variety of cutting edge technologies to deliver data with high reliability at massive scale. You will work to expand and optimize our world-class supply chain systems to support a variety of emerging business initiatives. You will have the opportunity to propose ideas that impact millions of customers, owning major deliverables end-to-end, while working closely with experienced engineers and teams to execute on them. We value innovation and technical exploration through iterative development which includes project scoping & development practices that emphasize software excellence. Scalability, latency, and customer experience are our top priorities as the business grows.
Key job responsibilities
In this job, you will...
- Work in a team of talented engineers and teams to develop efficient and scalable architecture and algorithm to build feasible fulfillment network using milliseconds level runtime latency.
- Work to expand and optimize our world-class supply chain systems to support a variety of emerging business initiatives.
- Lead re-write of system architecture to adapt to the future needs and maximize the gain by using latest technologies including AWS services.
- This is a perfect opportunity for motivated and talented software engineers who want to apply and grow their technical depth and breadth while defining and driving key aspects of the supply chain systems for our customers.
- Design, refactor, re-architect, deprecate and implement large-scale services for ultra-high transactional volumes.
- Heavily involve through all phases of software development using concepts that may include Service Oriented Architecture, caching, balancing, non-relational databases, micro services, sharding, n-tiered, non-relational databases etc.
- Use object-oriented concepts to program large multi-tier systems. Apply useful design patterns.
- Write and review code while insisting on best practices in improving team coding culture subjects related to quality and security.
A day in the life
Wake up, have some coffee, attend stand up - write code, maybe have a design review meeting. Have lunch with the team, write more code, discuss interesting findings with colleagues, push changes into production if ready and monitor impact to the business. Celebrate successes, review processes to improve and streamline the development environment, generate an idea and sell it to your colleagues - potentially file an invention disclosure for a patent. Learn from Principal and Sr. Engineers how to construct distributed systems that scale efficiently to keep up with the rapid growth of the company.
About the team
The Vancouver team has engineers from many different countries, and are familiar with setting new roots down in a community. The team has world class engineers that are builders who want to change the world, they generate a lot of new ideas and projects and are looking for more engineers to help fuel their growth.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- Programming experience with at least one software programming language.
- Agile and Test Driven Development, Scrum
- Experience in web services, service-oriented architecture and cloud computing
- Experience in design and implementation of large scale, high performance, and high availability web services.
- Practical experience with software engineering best-practices and a strong desire to create quality solutions and designs
- Deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly
- Ideal candidates will show excellent debugging and troubleshooting skills, with an enthusiastic attitude to support and resolve customer problems
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming