Are you interested in building hyper-scale database services in the cloud? Do you want to revolutionize the way databases are built for the cloud? Do you want to have direct and immediate impact on hundreds of thousands of users who use AWS database services?
Amazon Aurora offers MySQL compatible, relational database engines that combine the speed and availability of high-end commercial databases with the simplicity and cost-effectiveness of open source databases. It provides up to five times better performance than MySQL at a price point one tenth that of a commercial database while delivering similar performance and availability.
Amazon Aurora Engine team is looking for software developers who are passionate about databases and large-scale storage system technologies, and excited about building database systems that run across thousands of servers across multiple datacenters worldwide. These are core systems development positions where you will grow to own the design and development of significant system software components critical to our industry leading database services architected for the cloud.
We are looking for candidates who are exceptional in systems programming, data structures and algorithms, and advanced databases. Research and hands-on experience working in database research groups and labs is preferred. You not only need to be a top software developer with a good academic and/or research track record, but also need to excel in communication and leadership. This is a unique and rare opportunity to get in on the ground floor within a fast-growing business and help shape the technology and the product.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systemsPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Solid background in database internals or building core component of large-scale parallel data processing and management systems especially query processing, optimization and parallel execution.
• Background in compilers and operating system, file, network and various storage systems, which are the cornerstones of query processing.
• Strong relational database fundamental and internals including SQL, performance, schema design.
• Strong understanding of multi-layer system performance, scaling and tuning.
• System programming skills including multi-threading, concurrency control, object-oriented programming, etc. Fluency in C++ highly preferred.
• Ability to drive tasks to completion and take ownership of projects.
• Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment with people and be both highly motivated and motivating.
• Excellent leadership, verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong mentoring and technical leadership skills.
Software and Programming