AWS Elemental is an Amazon Web Services company that combines deep video expertise with the power and scale of the cloud. We are looking for a Senior Software Development Engineer focused on video compression to build advanced video processing functions.
As a Senior Video Compression Development Engineer, you will write great code to process our customers' video and metadata. You'll work on cutting edge compression technologies like VVC, AV1, VP9, HEVC, high dynamic range video, and enhancement filters. You will work on a focused team with clear leadership and a direct ability to solve our customers' problems and enable their success. Your work will have a broad reach. Your code will process thousands of video streams around the world, and the final output will be enjoyed by millions of viewers. The full resources of Amazon Web Services are available to us and the only limit is our imagination.
Key job responsibilities
• Improving the quality per bit in our home-grown video encoders.
• Design and implement improved video filters, whether this be a scaler, deinterlacer, or a brand new perceptual filter
• Improve compute performance of our video processing
About the team
We are the Elemental Video Engine team, responsible for everything that happens to a pixel in the AWS services MediaLive and MediaConvert, as well as AWS Elemental appliances. These services and appliances are trusted by some of the biggest names in the industry to reliably deliver the best video quality per bit.
We are an experienced team, currently distributed between Portland, Oregon and Vancouver, British Columbia. We are doers: we focus on solving customer problems, with all team members coming up with new ideas and implementing production code.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 2+ years of experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
• 7+ years of video codec development experience, particularly AV1, HEVC, H.264 and MPEG2PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Experience with SSE/AVX2 is a plus
• Practical experience applying ML to solve complex problems in an applied environment
• Experience designing and implementing video filters
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming