The Relational Database Service (RDS) is one of the fastest growing AWS businesses, providing and managing relational databases as a service. RDS is seeking talented database engineers who will innovate and engineer solutions in the area of database technology.
The Database Engineering team is actively engaged in the ongoing database engineering process, partnering with development groups, and providing deep subject matter expertise to feature design, and as an advocate for bringing forward and resolving customer issues.
We are looking for individuals who are enthusiastic about applying innovative ideas to solving real-world customer problems and who are passionate about working with customers. In this role you will act as the "Voice of the Customer" helping software engineers understand how customers use databases. you will be responsible for translating customers' needs and use cases into technical innovation and robust engineering solutions on AWS.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives. This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one day a month. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause and prioritize fixes to reduce operational load on team.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Deep knowledge and experience designing and maintaining Oracle relational databases.
- Experience working directly with customers, resolving database, systems, and infrastructure-related issues, and providing systems architecture leadership.
- Working knowledge of relational database internals (locking, consistency, serialization, recovery paths).
- Working knowledge of at least one scripting language (shell, Python, Perl) and a procedural language for at least one database (PL/SQL, T-SQL etc.).
- Systems engineering experience, including Linux performance, memory management, I/O tuning, configuration, security, networking, clusters, and troubleshooting.
- Experience with relational databases including MySQL, Postgres or SqlServer
- Experience analyzing issues holistically, from the application tier through the database, down to the storage.
- Broad awareness of customer workloads and use cases, including performance, availability, and scalability.
- Experience building and maintaining complex mission-critical production database systems.
- Familiarity with at least one compiled language (Java, C, C++), experience automating tasks.
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services (EC2, EBS, S3, etc.).
Amazon is committed to providing accommodations at all stages through recruitment and employment in accordance with applicable human rights and accommodation legislation. If contacted for an employment opportunity, advise Human Resources if you require accommodation, including in order to apply for a position.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Administrative Information Technology