Position Title On-Call Office Assistant - Various Departments Posting Number 01279SA Location See Work Arrangements Grade or Pay Level S - Pay Level 5 Salary Range To be determined based on assignment (Typically range from $19.97/hour up to $23.86/hour) Position Type Support Staff - Temporary Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Temporary Employment Type On-Call Posting Category Staff Start Date 10/18/2021 End Date Day of the Week Mondays to Fridays Shift N/A Work Arrangements
This on-call auxiliary position is available starting October 18, 2021 with hiring occurring sporadically throughout the year, and may be required to work at various Douglas College campuses including New Westminster, Coquitlam, Anvil Office Tower, Maple Ridge and Surrey, Langley, & Burnaby.
Hours of work are generally between 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday to Friday. Overtime maybe required from time to time. Scheduled hours range between 4 hours to 7 hours per day depending on the assignment.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
To provide support to a variety of departments by performing a variety of clerical duties. Monitors telephone calls and receives visitors for the appropriate/assigned area/department. Provides exceptional client-centred service on a consistent basis to all stakeholder groups.Responsibilities
1. Provides clerical support to the assigned department.
a. creates mailing lists, types correspondence; formats documents, merges files;
b. produces documents on a PC from written draft or dicta tape;
c. assists with collating and distributing materials;
d. develops/maintains filing systems, both hard copy and electronic;
e. organizes room bookings and catering requests as requested.
2. Acts as receptionist, receiving visitors and telephone callers.
a. responds to telephone calls by taking messages, re-routing if necessary and giving pertinent information;
b. receives visitors and responds to their queries/directs to appropriate area;
c. ensures mail, faxes and memos are sorted and distributed; arranges for special deliveries/courier service;
d. provides photocopy and distribution service within the department; distributes throughout the college when necessary.
3. Provides support and resource services to the department for the effective operation of the office equipment; when required, notify the appropriate internal department for maintenance/repair.
a. maintains stock of standard office supplies and forms;
b. provides telephone back-up to other staff within the department.
4. Performs other related duties.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
1. Completion of a one-year related program at a recognized post-secondary institution with a minimum of two years related work experience with the public in a high volume fast paced environment or equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. Demonstrated ability to:
- type correspondence, format documents, create mailing lists and merges files with an emphasis on grammar, punctuation and accuracy
- keyboard 45 wpm accurately
- perform computer applications including demonstrated proficiency with spreadsheets, database management, word processing software (MS Word, Excel, Power Point, and Iron Point Software), electronic mail, Internet and web applications. Proficiency on Customer Service Testing.
- communicate courteously and effectively in person, in writing and over the telephone with employees, students, and the general public, as well as maintain a good working relationship with other employees.
- work independently with a minimum of supervision, as well as being able to establish priorities, and achieve deadlines including the ability to multi-task.
- function effectively in a team environment, including exercising initiative in offering assistance to colleagues, working collaboratively to share tasks and responsibilities, and dealing effectively with conflict.
4. Demonstrated English language skills including strong oral a written communication skills.
5. Good working knowledge of modern office practices and procedures including standard business formats of letters and memoranda, and proven ability to coordinate paper flow.
6. Demonstrated experience and ability to function effectively in an environment where professionalism, a high degree of confidentiality and sensitivity are of primary importance; ability to be empathetic to the needs of all stakeholders and an awareness of cultural diversity.
Link to Full Position Profile Diversity Statement
Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Posting Detail Information
Open Date 10/01/2021 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Interested applicants must submit their application and all required documents online. Qualified internal applicants shall be given first consideration in filling this position. Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying. All candidates selected for interview will need to bring original certificates and diplomas of educational credentials noted on their resume.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/8259
Operations and Logistics