Position Title Career Coach / Job Developer Posting Number 01446SA Location See Work Arrangements Grade or Pay Level - Salary Range TBD Position Type Training Group Contract Employment Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Contract Employment Type Full-Time Posting Category Training Group Start Date 05/02/2022 End Date 04/07/2023 Day of the Week Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays Shift between 8:00 a.m. and 5 p.m. Work Arrangements
This Full Time position will deliver the program virtually through work from a home based office with team meetings to occur through Douglas College locations in Maple Ridge, Coquitlam, New Westminster and Burnaby. Travel is required.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
The Career Coach / Job Developer position assists with the development and delivery of the Virtual Customer Service / Digital Skills training program for youth (ages 15 to 29 years) in order to facilitate development of the skills needed to gain sustainable employment in customer service/administration work. This PBLMT (project based labour market training) program is pending contract signing by the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction.
In this role you are responsible for program intake, online group based facilitation of career planning and job search strategies and one to one support to participants. You will work closely with the full time Job Developer to connect with employers to identify and support work experience opportunities for participants. This position also contributes to the program team and liaison activities with community organizations who provide wrap around supports to remove barriers to employment.Responsibilities
Participant Recruiting and Intakes:
• Assist with:
- Outreach to referring organizations;
- Information Sessions.
• Review Participant Applications to ensure project agreement requirements and program success criteria are met;
• Conduct intake interviews and informal assessments to determine suitability for program;
Curriculum Development and Delivery (facilitation):
Work collaboratively with the project team to develop and deliver online program curriculum that:
• applies Gender Based Analysis+ to identify potential bias or inequities to Participants;
• follow departmental curriculum guidelines and document storage processes.
Content to include:
• Program orientation (online learning, program overview)
• Career planning for customer service/administration jobs;
• Essential Skills
• Digital literacy skills
• Community Resources / Wrap Around Supports
• Job Search Strategies
• Work Experience/Job Placement and Job Shadowing, Informational Interviews ;
• Development of realistic achievable action plan leading to sustainable employment;
• Weekly check in to monitor participant progress and provide supports needed;
• Refer participants to wrap around supports to remove barriers to employment;
• Conduct follow up with participants to provide job maintenance and ongoing career development support.
Employer and Community Outreach:
• Liaise with community organizations who provide wrap around support to make referrals as needed;
• Liaise with employers to place participants into 4 week work experience, and/or job shadowing, mentorship or informational interview opportunities;
• Coordinate workshops with guest speakers (employers and community organizations)
• Maintain employer and community organization records in CMS database.
Work Experience / Job Placement
• Assist Participants with job search strategies and to prepare for scheduled interviews;
• Identify and negotiate work experience opportunities for participants;
• Assist employers with onboarding and the development of training;
• Monitor and provide ongoing support during and after completion of program;
• Assist participants and employers to resolve issues that may arise during work experience;
• Participate in local business and industry meetings (i.e. Chamber of Commerce);
• Monitor client progress and maintain records in CMS ;
• Oversee distribution and tracking of Participant Financial Supports;
• Complete reports as required by the project agreement and submit to CCSP ;
• Ensure Participant evaluations are conducted and reviewed at regular intervals.
• Participate in regular team meetings, strategic planning and program review sessions as scheduled;
• Foster positive, productive working relationships and work collaboratively to contribute to a positive work environment based on mutual respect.
• Assist with the development of the ISO program guide;
• Work to Training Group's Quality Management System, ISO9001:2015 standard.
• Perform miscellaneous duties as required.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
• 2+ years Post-Secondary education in social services or related area or equivalent combination of suitable work experience and education;
• Minimum 2 - 3 years' experience in career development and employment services experience preferred;
• Awareness of barriers to employment for youth ages 15 to 29 years;
• Ability to connect effectively with Youth in an online environment;
• Knowledge of current local and regional economic conditions and labour market information options for job seekers;
• Ability to deliver online programming that engages learners;
• Demonstrated ability to meet targeted outcomes;
• Strong organizational and time management skills;
• Ability to assess youth readiness for employment;
• Strong interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills;
• Ability to network with employers, business and industry and through professional associations;
• Established broad based employer network an asset;
• Advanced proficiency in internet research, Microsoft Office, and social media;
• Proven ability to work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team with capacity to take initiative and calmly handle changing circumstances;
• Travel within the Lower Mainland is required: access to a vehicle and valid BC Driver's license or reliable alternative transportation;
• Satisfactory completion of a vulnerable persons criminal records check. A criminal record will not automatically result in your application for employment being denied.
- Certified Career Development Practitioner
- Essential Skills Practitioner Certificate
Link to Full Position Profile Diversity Statement
Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
Needs a Criminal Records Check Yes
Posting Detail Information
Open Date 04/11/2022 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Interested applicants must submit their application and all required documents online. Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/8954
Education and Training